Everyone has an opportunity to use their superpowers for good before Give More 24! kicks off on Thursday, September 20. In this case, our super strength is the ability to inspire others, because more people always create a larger impact when it comes to giving. Hence the theme of this year’s event, Empower in Numbers.
One person’s story or passion can create a wave of support for a cause, so we gathered eight of the most effective ways that you can get your friends and neighbors involved. Read below and do what you can before midnight on September 20, which is when our region’s most official, unofficial giving holiday kicks off.
1) Save the Date: Life is busy, so start small by saving the date in your iCal, Outlook or Google calendar. If you’re the social media type, join our Facebook event and invite your closest friends. You could even copy and paste this step or any of the ones below into an email and send it to someone who cares about local causes as much as you.
2) Profile Takeover: The easiest way to show your love for local causes on social media. Step one: apply our official Give More 24! overlay to your profile image. Step two: download pre-made Facebook and Twitter cover photos and add one to your profile. By adding a Give More 24! theme to your profile it will become a billboard for promoting local giving. Keep reading for more ways to flex your social media muscles.
3) Rally Your Team: We all have our own crowds, whether it’s an informal club or longstanding organization. Think of the groups you’re already a part of and ways you can plug them into Give More 24! Maybe your church would naturally rally around one of the 150 causes involved, or maybe your office would let you post Give More 24! flyers? Let us know what you come up with, or if there’s any way we help bring your plan to life.
4) Sharing Is Caring: Social media is the easiest way to get the latest updates on Give More 24! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and share, retweet or repost what our content. Also, don’t forget to use #givemore24 in your social media posts. This adds you to the larger Give More 24! conversation and puts your post onto the Tagboard at the bottom of our homepage.
5) Make Our Video Viral: We created a fun, animated video that explains Give More 24! in just 30 seconds. You can preview the video below and, more importantly, create a buzz by sharing the clip on social media. It’s already on Facebook for easy sharing, but you can also post the YouTube link below to Twitter or wherever you connect with an online community.
6) Post Your Passion: Personal messages are always more powerful, so create your own posts that speak to why you support Give More 24! Download and add one of our social share images to make your post really pop. You can also promote a specific organization by going to its Give More 24! profile page and clicking on the social share icons next to the fundraise button.
7) Give Out Loud: When you click the donate button on September 20, you also have the chance to share a link to that organization’s profile and ask your friends and followers to join you in supporting its efforts. If you want to show your care for your community even more, you can download and add a profile photo or social share image that says “I Just Gave!” Just like voting, when we give out loud, we encourage others do their duty.
8) Become a FUN-draiser: Take the biggest leap to show your support by becoming a fundraising champion. This Give More 24! anyone has the ability to raise funds on behalf of an organization. So if you’re a full blown fan of a certain nonprofit, visit www.givemore24.org, find its profile page and click on the “Fundraise” button. For more information and step-by-step instructions, you can also read our Give More 24! Fundraiser Guide.
If each of us takes at least two of these steps, we’ll be 2,000 steps closer to making sure that everyone in southwest Washington knows how to get involved in Give More 24! More importantly, we’ll help others discover local causes they care about and give them the chance to make their giving go further thanks to more than $500,000 in matching funds and $19,000 in nonprofit prizes. Not to mention local nonprofits will thank you for it, literally.
With our powers combined, we’ll surely make this Give More 24! a record-breaking success and make a lasting difference in our community. It’s an incredible feeling and we can’t wait to experience it alongside you and the thousands of other do-gooders who make Give More 24! possible.
Until then, we hope to see you showing off your secret powers online and in-person as we prepare to celebrate our region’s generosity for 24 hours.